Thursday 20 August 2009

I'm Not a Fluffy Female

Being strapped for cash is a powerful motivator. Over the years I have done lots of DIY. Just give me an electric drill, a saw, a hammer, an adjustable spanner and a pair of pliers and I'm as happy as larry
I started in the early 60's when the window sash cords broke & we couldn't afford to get them fixed. I borrowed a book from the library and read up on it. After that there was no stopping me. Having an engineers brain helps as I can easily take things apart and put them back together.
As a child I frequently 'played' in my Dad's shed; but only while he was at work. I was known as 'fiddle fingers' and always denied that I'd played with his tools. One day I even poked a hairpin in a live socket to see what would happen, I soon found out.
On the odd occasion when we've employed a workman to carry out tasks I've been known to get annoyed. Even though they knew I was knowledgable they'd try to 'pull the wool'. Sometimes I've even 'redone' their work.
While seeking advice, if my husband was present they would always talk to him and ignore me. 'No use talking to me mate! She's the expert, not me.'
My tool kit has expanded over the years and they've usually come from car boot sales.
I can cobble things together with wood but I'd never make a carpenter. I have done a bit of plastering but don't like it as it is messy. I feel the same about decorating, I hate the smell and I loath cleaning the paintbrushes. I avoid doing car stuff because I hate getting my hands oily.
The only thing I haven't done is construct a brick wall. But watch this space.

No comments: