Tuesday 18 August 2009

Thoughts on Gardening

Just recently I've been sorting out my 'plant pot' garden. All the plants required repotting and I've got through an awful lot of potting compost. It comes in 75 litre bags. Even though I've been mixing it with the spent compost I've used the contents of eight bags.
Thinking I was getting a good deal I'd been buying it in B&Q but only on 10% discount Wedensdays. Their multibuy offer is 3 for £10 (£9). Then I discovered that there was a good deal in Wickes on any day of the week as their offer is 4 bags for £12. Even the staff were happy to help me manhandle my purchases into the car, that didn't happen in B&Q.
10 litre Black builders buckets at around £1 a pop are much cheaper than buying planters. All one has to do is remove the handles and make a hole in the base.
My own homemade compost needs mixing with commercial stuff as it is too wet. It is also chock full of seeds as young Melon plants have been popping up in unexpected places.
Big fat slugs, when covered in dry compost, feel quite nice as they have the texture of a jellybaby.
Plant saucers are vital as they stop the pots from drying out. Big ones are difficult to get hold of locally but they are available on Ebay.
I've used an old galvanised mop bucket as a planter. I cut away the mop wringer and drilled holes in the base.
I plan to grow strawberries. Using three or four different sized planters to make a cascaded planter is a good idea. Some soil goes in the bottom of the biggest one, then the next size goes in and the gap is filled with soil. The same procedure is followed with the others.
Watching Gardeners World has given me inspiration and I hope to find some interesting containers at car boot sales.
In the meantime the house is gathering dust but all the while the sun shines I am compelled to be outdoors.

No comments: