Monday 17 August 2009

Kew

Thanks to the £10 offer from SouthWest Trains I visited Kew yesterday.
It turned into a bit of an adventure. Even though I left home at 7:30am, through my own stupidity I missed the 8:53 train. Because they carry out repair work on Sundays, the final stage was a 45 minute bus journey.
I eventually arrived at Kew Bridge station at 12:45. Was I mad? Probably.
Kew in general is very pleasant. Everyone knows about the famous gardens but few are aware of the Steam Museum.
My intention was to visit Kew Palace, private residence of George III, Queen Charlotte and their large family. She gave birth to 15 children but not all lived. It is rumoured that Charlotte had negro ancestry.
What I didn't know and I was annoyed about was that in order to visit the palace one has to pay the entrance fee to Kew gardens.
Although the palace was quite charming it's small; I was round it quite quickly. Interesting points included a waxwork head of George made by Madame Tussaud herself. George's waistcoat and the chair in which Queen Charlotte spent her final days.
Although the afternoon was very hot I did a very quick tour of the gardens, after all I had paid to get in. Afterwards I visited St Anne's, the church on Kew green. On Sunday afternoons they serve afternoon tea. This little interlude was absolute bliss.
My return journey started at 4:05pm. Three hours later, at 7:05pm I got into the car and drove home.

No comments: