Sunday 11 October 2009

Crash Dummy

This 21 year old has written off three cars in three years and worries her parents to death. They're concerned, and quite rightly, that she'll do it again but won't walk away. Her confidence isn't dented, and she has the cheek to criticise her Mother for driving too cautiously. She commutes 60 miles every day and insists that she’s the more experienced driver. A feisty child will never take heed. As parents they'll always be in the wrong, but she'll expect them to pick up the pieces. You can't put an old head on young shoulders, it is a child's duty to push boundaries. It was ever thus, I seem to remember her Mother not taking much notice of me or anything I advised. All youngsters have to find their own way. I've advised the parents to give her advanced driving lessons for Christmas but will they take heed of me? If it was WWII and women had equal rights she'd be flying Spitfires. For five years I shared my home with a lodger. This young man wanted to learn to drive so lessons were booked. So he could gain experience I went out with him and I was usually terrified. He passed his test 1st time & it went to his head. For a token amount I sold him my J reg Micra and bought myself a W reg Clio. He crashed the Micra shortly afterwards. He drove like the 'Red Baron, I refused to let him drive me and as a passenger he constantly criticized my driving. That really rankled, I'm an experienced and competent driver, at one stage - during paid employment - I clocked up about 1000 miles every week. In the end a friend's husband, a former Police Officer, taught him defensive driving techniques. PS. The driving school car was also a Micra but the controls were on opposite sides. To overcome this obstacle he took it upon himself, and without seeking my permission, to alter the controls on my car. Apparently it was a job easily done. He's now married and lives in London.

No comments: