Thursday 8 October 2009

Motorhome Magazine Letter

My set up is an Autosleeper Symbol and would really love to connect with those who go it alone. My experience of couples is that they are set in their ways and very comfortable in their relationship with other couples. They have no idea what it is like for Solo's but maybe they don't know how to cope with us. I have previously attended rallies with established organisations but people's natural tendency to form cliques has put me off. My last rally was Bank Holiday May 2007. It was Caravan Club's National Rally at Blenheim Palace, with E Hants Centre whose members are mostly couples. I had rallied with them before and was know to the 'officers'. It rained solidly for the duration and I passed the time alone in the van watching the rain turn the site into a quagmire. I got into a right state worrying about getting off pitch and site. In the end I was towed off by total strangers. While driving home I kept thinking. "I've paid good money to go away and enjoy myself but I've been as miserable as sin, why did I put myself through that?" I dropped out of E Hants Centre shortly afterwards. I wrote and told them why I left but didn't get a reply and have been put off established clubs since then. The other thing about traditional established organisations is that they hold events like 'Dinner Dances'. Great for couples but not for people like me.

No comments: