Wednesday 4 February 2009

My Memories of Snow

Reasons why I hate it. My earliest memories are of the winter of 1947. I had just turned three but I can't remember feeling cold, the food shortages or the power cuts. The next hard winter was 1963. I had just turned 19 and was heavily pregnant. The bad weather lasted for weeks and the snow was still on the ground in March. Maternity trousers had not been invented, neither had tights. In those days one wore a maternity roll on girdle which held up stockings. The flesh at the tops my the legs had no cover so I wore long passion killing 'granny' pants. I was permanently cold, we had no central heating and pipes froze. Getting around was difficult as the icy pavements were lethal. The horrible conditions just seemed to go on and on. In the late sixties I remember snow falling on Boxing day but I don't know how long it lasted. During the seventies and eighties I worked as a sales representative, during this time I began to really hate the snow. We were expected to drive in all conditions, no staying at home. In those days there wasn't so much traffic. I have some very unpleasant memories, it was hard work and quite tough. All my colleagues were men so I had to keep the side up. In 1991 I tried out skiing, it was February and I was 49. We'd been persuaded to give it a try by experienced friends. Our party spent many hours driving across Europe to Austria.. The first morning on the icy nursery slopes was enough for me. I was cold, the ski boots were uncomfortable and I kept on falling down. I couldn't control the skis and sticks, going to the loo was an ordeal. I hated everything about it, on the third day I gave up. The ski resort was near Salzberg so as there was nothing else to do I took myself there by train. The ice cold wind whistled down the streets and I spent the entire time dodging in and out of coffee shops trying to keep warm.

No comments: