Thursday 5 February 2009

On Being Rude

I'm usually very polite and do my best not to hurt other people's feelings. But there are occasions when I use a different approach Chuggers, those horrible people lurk around high streets. They brow beat victims into signing up for regular donations to good causes. I don't make eye contact, treat them as if they're invisible and carry on walking. I sponsor an African child so I am not mean. I don't want to be brow beaten by strangers, I like to make my own choices. Energy suppliers continue to send out cold calling doorstep salesmen. They come in pairs and use very dubious tactics. Yesterday I was nice and comfy in the living room, then I heard a knock on the door. Two uniformed men were on the path, the one holding the clipboard announced they were from Southern Electric. I immediately shut the door without acknowledging their presence or uttering a word. If it had been a genuine call they would have knocked again. I heard laughter, no wonder they go round in pairs, I expect they need moral support. I feel a bit mean turning the men away, it’s a tough way to earn a living but I know they don't have my best interests at heart. In the past I've been drawn into heated doorstep discussions but this left me feeling upset so the silent approach is best. 'God Bothers' are a bit different. I know they think they've got it right and want to save me. I am polite, friendly but firm. They soon give up on me.

No comments: