Monday 9 March 2009

It Was Written

In the mid seventies I got my first ever 'proper' job. My employer was Mars Confectionery. During my training I learned about forecasting, not the weather but future trends. Thirty years ago it was predicted that small shops would close and they were so right. Other aspects of shop closures is greedy grasping councils believing they can milk car drivers by charging extortionate prices for parking and unrealistic landlords for constantly pushing up rents. The likes of Tesco also use forecasting. Not only future trends but the long term weather. That way they can easily swap between soup and salad. Added to that the general public are like sheep. Lets all pile into the car and go to the supermarket where we can buy everything we need under one roof and parking is free!! Yay!! I can't remember the last time I went shopping in Commercial Road, Portsmouth. I would never pay to park in the town centre car parks. But I know where I can park for free and walk. Years ago I stopped buying new so what do the town centre shops offer that I could possibly want? The fashion brand Principles is in receivership and 66 of their 85 UK shops will shut. In my view they were selling over priced clothes. Who will be next? This blog makes interesting reading, apparently the future is renting.

No comments: