Wednesday 4 March 2009

People Who Have Let Me Down

Last Christmas the campervan wouldn't start, something was draining the starter battery. I contacted a mobile mechanic, he inspected the system, disconnected the battery and said that he was very busy so he couldn't do it then but would come back later. He phoned me after about two weeks and said he hadn't forgotten and would be back. I waited patiently but he never got back to me. A couple of weeks ago I contacted another and made an appointment. Even though I waited in all day he was a complete no show. In the meantime I found someone else, he came yesterday and said that he was worried, as it hadn't been charged for two months the battery might have sulphated and I would need another one. He took it home to recharge , he phoned me shortly afterwards and said it was charging OK so would bring it back at on Thursday. I really do hope he doesn't let me down. If he comes up trumps it will have taken me over two months to get this resolved. Then there's the "slime ball" cheating nearby neighbour who took advantage of my good nature. I wanted to build up the earth in my front garden, as he was digging out a hard standing he had soil he wanted to get rid of. We came to an agreement. On two occasions he moved earth over and promised me he would dig it over and level it. I was quite happy and trusted him. Last November I went away for a few days and came home to find piles of it, more than I wanted or deal with. He had moved everything he wanted rid of into my garden and did it while I wasn't there to stop him, oh how he must have laughed. It hadn't cost him a penny and I was stuck with the problem. If I try to talk to him about it I am met with a reception committee, all standing there in the doorway with their arms folded across their chests. As I am articulate they are probably frightened of me. Being blunt these people are uneducated and ignorant so I can't reason with them. I would guess that there aren't many in my neighbourhood who have what I would call 'middle class moral values', it's the way these council tenants appear to live. Being both desperate and cheeky I came to an arrangement with my immediate next door neighbour. I asked if I could spread it over his front garden and he agreed. He doesn't do gardening or look after it so I would actually make it look better. Later on the same day his nephew, who lives opposite, knocked on my door and declared he would do it for me on Sunday. He was another 'no show'. Monday was sunny so I dusted down the wheel barrow and spade. I spent all morning manoeuvring earth from my side to his. I haven't done much exercise since last autumn so I didn't over exert because this earth is damp and very heavy. I have dug out all the nettles from his side. I have moved over quite a lot the surplus earth and will continue until both gardens look good. If there is any surplus earth I will use it in my back garden. My attempt to benefit both the weasel faced "slime ball" and myself turned totally sour. And my faith in human nature has been shaken. My wish is that they'll all rot in hell, not very Christian is it?

No comments: