Tuesday 27 January 2009

How Others Live

As a supporter of my local MP, I was asked to deliver the latest newsletter in the streets near my house. I have delivered just over half and I am absolutely whacked, it took me a couple of hours. As I live on the side of a hill it involved negotiating lots of steps Being a slightly unfit I didn't realise that all this step climbing would take it's toll. And I nearly came a cropper on a slippery path. I am an owner occupier and live right in the middle of a pre war council estate. Luckily for me my road is a small cul de sac. The properties are old peoples bungalows, maisonettes and 2 bed houses. In general my neighbours keep their gardens clean and tidy and I think I live in one of the nicest streets. Houses in roads nearby are a bit different. The sights and smells I encountered this afternoon were quite off putting. Today was refuse collection and recycling day. We are not supplied with bins for general rubbish so most people use black sacks. Recycling bins need to be put out on the the pavement, people don't bother and those that are never put out overflow with un-recyclable stuff. Some gardens were even strewn with fresh rubbish. Some of the houses have lovely big gardens and most are overgrown and uncultivated, such a shame. While pushing leaflets through letter boxes I encountered some disgusting smells wafting out. I heard dogs barking but didn't get attacked. Years ago I had an embarrassing encounter while doing market research. I knocked at a house and through the glass door I saw a dog come running up. It hurled itself at the door and came crashing through the glass, it didn't stop and just ran off. The owner opened up what remained of the door while I stood totally paralysed, wishing the ground would open up and swallow me.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Good for you Liz to be so supportive - but rather you than me delivering leaflets!