Sunday 11 January 2009

Sloping Shoulders Syndrome

I am Vice Chair and 'Groups Liaison' of Waterlooville U3A. We have been going about three years and now have over 300 members.
"U3As are self-help, self-managed lifelong learning co-operatives for older people no longer in full time work, providing opportunities for their members to share learning experiences in a wide range of interest groups and to pursue learning not for qualifications, but for fun."
Last summer the vice chair announced she was stepping down. I volunteered because others did not come forward. 
What really annoys me is the apathy of our members. It is easy for people to criticise the efforts of others. But when push comes to shove they are reluctant to lend a hand.
As a member of the walking group I made an offer to lead a walk if there was a gap in the programme. Yesterday I had an email asking me if I could take the January slot as no one had come forward. 
I had nothing planned but found a 5 mile walk around Old Portsmouth on the internet. It will have to do.
At our monthly meetings members expect refreshments but no one wants to do it so I have volunteered to 'arm twist'. People will find all sorts of excuses to get out of it. Comments have been made about me bullying members into doing the tea. 
But I'm a big girl, I can take it.

Posted via email from Liz's Posterous

No comments: